Thursday, September 30, 2010

It Will Never Stop Being Surreal

First off, congratulations to Matt and Dana for the safe arrival of their new baby boy!  Secondly, a happy birthday to Jim tomorrow!

As I'm thinking about what to write for this post, I'm realizing that I might end up sounding like a broken record.  I've already written about how much I love being a part of HeartSong, how amazing it is to be a part of something bigger than me, and how natural it's beginning to feel.  But I want to write again about this amazing experience in itself, even as I'm still grappling with what it means to be a part of HeartSong.

Tonight our all-HeartSong meeting was more like a rehearsal for Yellow Team, and we were the practice audience.  We all worshipped together, singing songs we all have come to know by heart, but still finding the meaning in them and praying them with all our hearts.  After the worship set, Jim asked the Yellow Team members how they were feeling.  A couple of them said they felt unprepared for the coming weekend, but Collin said that it still didn't seem real; he still couldn't fully grasp the idea that he was actually a member of HeartSong.  Jim reassured all of us that this feeling should go away soon.

Usually I agree with the things that Jim says, but this time I'm not sure if I do.  I think that if being a part of HeartSong ever stops being unbelievable, we stop understanding the privilege we have to be a part of this team.  There are many people at Cedarville who would give anything to be a part of HeartSong, and then there a people like me who didn't even want to be on HeartSong until two weeks before I made the team.  This is a rare opportunity that God has given to us, and we should be amazed and honored that He would choose us to be a part of this ministry.  In time, yes, it should begin to feel natural; the nervous, unprepared feelings will go away as we become more comfortable with the music and with our team.  But the amazed feeling, the surreal feeling, should never go away.  Being a part of God's plan is surreal; our sin and brokenness should have taken away this privilege and honor.  But God called us back and continues to call us to the great adventure in His Holy Spirit to be used by Him "for the praise of His glory" (Eph. 1:12).

So saddle up your horses, we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild, blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our Leader into the glorious unknown
This is a life like no other
Woah! This is the great adventure!


P.S. Please pray for the Yellow Team as they travel to Lake Ann and minister to junior high students this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment