Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Like the Breath Before the Dive

Let me share with you an inspiring video.  Don't worry about watching the whole thing unless you want to; it's almost 20 minutes long.  Just fast-forward to 13:05 and listen to the song he plays.


Ah, isn't it so beautiful.  Soon after watching this video for the first time I developed a crush on this song, which is Chopin's Prelude in E minor.  I received the music just today to find that it is only a page long and technically simple, so I decided to learn it all in one day.  Of course, there are many things I still need to do with this song musically.  But every time I play it, I know when I'm playing it wrong, because it's not beautiful the way I want it to be.  With this song, it's not about technique; it's about beauty. And when I play it right, like earlier today when I played the last three chords and the last chord came out just right, I knew that I wasn't playing music; I was making music, making beauty.  It was the most wonderful I've felt in a long time.  I felt so close to my Creator, so self-aware that this is what He has in mind for me.  I brought glory to His Name, even with no one in the room but the two of us.  It was a good way to re-focus.

Today was the first day of classes for the semester.  Or, for me, the first day of class.  Tomorrow is when most of my classes start, so I took today to get organized and begin playing piano again, on a GRAND piano!  And right now, it's about time for me to go to bed before the craziness of five classes hits me tomorrow.  For some reason a line from a Falling Up song ended up in my head when I thought about today: "It's like the breath before the dive..."  But of course, with a band like Falling Up, you never can tell what the song is actually about, so I did what you should never do with the Bible but I believe is perfectly acceptable with a Falling Up song: took the line out of context. Today was like the breath before the dive: preparing for what you know will be intense, something you're nervous for, but you know it must be done, and you're excited for the opportunity to do it, and when it's over that intensity and nervousness won't matter anymore, because you've made it through, and God was with you the whole way.  I prepared my room and my study space, my fingers, my mind, and my heart for what this new semester has for me, however intense, and I know that God will be with me every step.

In Psalm 16:11, David praises God in saying: "You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand."  God has an amazing path laid out for me, and when I am focused on Him, it will all fall into place better than I could have placed it myself.  I am prepared for what tomorrow brings, but not because of how I prepared, but because of God's power in my life to bring me through and glorify His name through it all.  I am so excited to see where God takes me this semester and how He will continue to use me to glorify Him!  I hope that you will stay tuned so that you can worship God for what He is doing right along with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment